Posts Tagged development
I have a new version I could make a build for, if I had a PC to build it on. I’m on vacation at my mom’s house, and I only have my laptop and a G5 iMac to work with. So, patience… I’ll post another MektonHelper soon. I’ve fixed a couple minor bugs while adding some small features, too.
No big changes here, none at all in the Windows version. This is just an update to post the Mac version of MektonHelper, in fact. The Mac version has a few tweaks to make it easier to run on smaller monitors and laptops, plus a couple of very minor bugfixes. These will all be rolled into 0.7 for the next Windows release, but in a more complete form(scrollviews for every tab, etc)
Bugfix release. I’ve started using this program in earnest to get my game going, so I’m noticing bugs. This fixes:
- Spaces not updating when Ammo table is updated.
- Ammo doesn’t track for handheld weapons correctly.
- Energy Pool tab not always updating correctly on load.
- Propulsion tab sometimes(heh… usually) crashes when clicked after a load.
Hopefully this will take care of the must-fixes before the next release.
Bit of a gap here, mostly due to some coding burnout. In fact, this release doesn’t even have Weapon Mating, which I’d originally planned on adding this time. Not to say it doesn’t have some improvements: bug fixes galore, ECM/ECCM, Energy Pools, Weapon Linkage, Remotes(though missing remote adding… that’s next release), more multiplier systems, and a little addition that adds flavor text to weapons as tooltips, though that requires redoing spec files. Old spec files will work fine, they just won’t have the flavor text.
I’ve set the next release for about 2 weeks away, due to holidays and travel. I hope to have at least a simple Transformations tab by then, but it’s a more complex problem. Also, I might do a Mac version then.
I didn’t feel too good this past weekend, so the next release of MektonHelper will be delayed until sometime later this week, whenever the code itch comes back. This release is mostly finished, though, so it shouldn’t take too long. Features in this release include Hydraulics, Power Plant modifiers, Weapon Linkage, Energy Pools, and maybe Weapon Mating if I get around to it. Energy Pools and Remotes are almost finished as of now, though the interface is still a bit clunky. Weapon Mating is the only thing that I haven’t really started yet.
Good news tonight. I managed to get some simple entity classes up and import, along with a definition. My art is terrible, but fortunately I haven’t written the code for tiles to display entities yet, so no need to see it! The code correctly creates and spawns entities at the edge of the map, with an inefficient but effective anti-collision algorithm. For the first time in quite a while I feel close to something releasable.
I haven’t posted in this category for a while because I haven’t made too much progress. I’ve had to step back from coding due to running into an efficiency problem in handling the Entity classes, and I’ve been working on ways around it. I think I have a workable, if not ideal solution, so I’ll probably tinker with the code this weekend some more. I doubt it will get finished this weekend, though.
Well that was a pain.
If you’re wondering why it took so long to do terrain generation, it’s because I had to rewrite the entire section about four times. A lot of algorithms look fine on paper, but in practice they don’t do so well for making a good landscape. I’m still not 100% happy with the way it does things, but it’s close enough that I can use what I have and move on, to tweak it later. This is especially true once I change some of the constants to config parameters so I won’t need to recompile. Since I don’t have overworld or biome generation done(and might not this release at all), I’ll probably use a specification text file for the first alpha release.
Next week’s tasks will be minor things like rearranging the UI and adding various progress bars, maybe time progression. Fairly simple tasks. After that comes the entity stuff, and that will be more difficult.
Thanks to a number of distractions(including another project which I, suprisingly, have finished now), I set Fantasy Frontier aside for a while. Guess I’d started to get burnt out, considering I code for my day job as well. 12 hours a day of coding, 6 days a week, isn’t very healthy.
Now I’ve picked it up again, and last night went over the code I’d already done to refamiliarize myself. I then threw myself into working on the map terrain generation code, and got it… somewhat working. The framework is there, but the actual algorithm is still being tweaked. Plus, I don’t have a lot of terrains in my data file yet. It was a good chance to test the object editor as well, and it passed acceptably. It’s not quite as stable as I’d like, but for now it works.
Once I have a few different terrains working and tiling, I think I’ll dress up the UI a tiny bit and post a few screenshots, so you all know I’m working.
Yeah, not as much progress as I’d like this past week… but when is there? At least I got something done. It will probably be pretty boring for a while, concerning Fantasy Frontier at least. The part of the code I’m working on is interesting from an algorithmic perspective, but not so interesting to people who’d actually play the game. I can say I’d like to get farming working as soon as possible, but it’s still a long way out. Development might also be slow because I’m going to be having a pretty rough week or two at work, so I might not feel too good about going home to code after a full day of code at work.
In the meantime, I’m considering writing some more posts in the RPG sections, specifically a more in-depth critique of D&D 4e. It’s been out a year now, I think I can write something without being swarmed too badly by people reflexively hating the new edition.